Red Lentil Soup
Red lentil soup is one of the fastest soups to make! And it is good for you because lentil is one of the healthiest world foods.You come home tired and hungry, you certainly don't want to spend hours cooking, not even one hour, not even 45 minutes... This soup takes 30 minutes of your time (even less if you have a gas range) and will not disappoint you one bit. Red lentils boil fast: about 10-15 minutes to become soft, and 20-25 minutes to start falling apart. The only sad thing is that the happy orange color of red lentil becomes yellow during boiling. Follow me to read this rescue-recipe.
|You can buy it in chain grocery store |
or an Indian market
3/4 cup red lentils
5 cups filtered water
1 medium-to-large Yukon potato, peeled and cubed
1 small yellow onion, peeled and chopped
A few strips of bacon, finely cubed (about 1/2 cup, packed)
1 tsp olive oil
Chicken bouillon cube or 1 tsp bouillon paste
1 clove garlic, minced
Salt to taste
Cooking time: 30 minutes!
Feeds 2-4 people
1. Pour water in 2-3 qt pot, put on high heat.
2. Finger lentils for stones and dark seeds. Rinse lentils through sieve with cold water, add to the pot.
3. Stir lentils until it starts boiling, reduce heat to steady simmer, remove foam from the surface.
4. Peel vegetables, chop onion, cube potatoes (3/4"cubes), cube bacon.
5. Put potatoes and chicken bouillon to the soup.
6. Drizzle a skillet with 1 tsp oil, saute bacon with onions until slightly caramelized, add to soup (you might want to discard some of the fat).
7. Simmer soup, stirring occasionally and removing foam, until lentils and potatoes are completely ready.
8. If soup seems too thick, add a little boiling water. Taste for salt, add more if necessary. Set the soup aside, add garlic and pepper, gently stir. Ready!
Serve your red lentil soup immediately while steaming hot. What a big reward for so little work!
Summary: a quick soup recipe